What is Family Dentistry?
Family Dentistry is a branch of dentistry that is similar to General Dentistry but with a few exceptions. Both Family Dentistry and General Dentistry are involved in activities related to oral hygiene and the health of the teeth. Family dentistry is, as the name suggests, for the whole family. It can handle people of all ages, both adults and children. In short, this branch of dentistry handles both the a child’s baby teeth and their permanent teeth when they grow up.
The dentists who handle this branch of dentistry are called Family dentists. These dentists have the added advantage of handling both children and adults. They are trained to handle children, making them comfortable so that they are not traumatized by their dental visits.
Family Dentistry Activities
The different activities that the family dentistry provide are:
- Preventive Dentistry Services:
- The services that come under this activity include regular dental maintenance like regular cleanings, fluoride treatments and other basic dental work. The family dentists can help in detecting any dental issue that might require the involvement of specialized dentists like orthodontists etc.
- The family dentist usually takes x-rays of the teeth on a regular basis to keep track of tooth decays and cavities and also to prevent further issues.
- Cosmetic Services:
- The family dentists might undergo additional training to provide cosmetic services like tooth whitening etc.
- Oral Hygiene and Maintenance Services:
- The family dentist can provide tips and recommendations for the regular cleaning of the teeth like brushing, flossing and rinsing. These activities will help the patients in preventing plaque and tooth decay.
Advantages of Family Dentistry
The branch of family dentistry provides a wide range of advantages for patients of all ages as listed below:
- Family Dentistry has a unique distinction to handle people of all ages. They can handle patients right from the time the children start growing their baby teeth right to their adulthood, handling their permanent teeth.
- They can provide education to the whole family in oral hygiene and the maintenance of their teeth. They can show the kinds and their parents the right way to brush, floss and rinse.
- They can help with the whole family in achieving a better smile. They can help the whole family achieve good aesthetic sense for their teeth using procedures like teeth whitening etc.
- They can also provide restorative procedures like dentures and teeth replacement.
Authored By Dr Sanjay N - Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopaedics, Bangalore